Back to school, for me this year is a bit of a non event. I’m not going back to school – I still have a couple of months left to enjoy my Paddy! But every other year I am normally still on a high from my new years resolutions to make better food choices or be better organised (there is definitely a theme to my life! haha) so I TRY to start the year strong! This collection of recipes are aimed for both the parents and the kids so your not making two lunches! Keeping in mind that so many schools and day care centres are now nut or egg free, which is something I whole heartily support as my niece is anaphylactic to both nuts and eggs. For some families it can seem a bit tricky to get your head around but for other families it is the difference between life and death of their child! So I have made this list of 13 recipes – so hopefully you will find something that is suitable for your little ones and the requirements of your care centre.
- These delicious little savoury muffins – with vegetables hidden inside are from Roar Sweetly you can check them out here, and they are nut free
2. Frozen Banana Yoghurt Bites – Easy for the kids to help make and easier for the adults and kids to eat! From Eats Amazing these are nut and egg free, check them out here
3. Cheddar Cheese Bites! OMG Yum, easy savoury snack that is cheesy what is not to love and egg and nut free! Check it out here from Love Bakes Good Cakes
4. PIZZA – YUM. Check out these pizza pinwheels with their own dough recipe! Egg free and nut free from – Butter with a side of bread. Recipe Here
5. This zucchini slice is easily eaten hot or cold it contains egg but no nuts. Check it out Zucchini and Bacon Slice
6. Yoghurt Dots – such an easy idea that makes nearly into a treat! Check it out at One Good Thing by Jilliee Here and of course both egg and nut free!
7. Something sweet and only 37 Calories!!! Brownies from Broma Bakery – check them out here – these are nut free
8. No food processor needed for these great bliss balls – check these out here. These are egg free but do contain nuts, but you could swap them out for seeds.
9. Healthy muesli bars which are both egg and nut free!!! Check them out at my clean plate here.
10. Hulk nuggets! Haha brocolli nuggets with only 5 ingredients. The perfect lunch snack, serve plain or with a little dipping sauce! Check out the recipe here, unfortunalty this recipe does have egg but no nuts!
11. Something that’s a little bit of a treat, and its Elvis’ favourite combination and as Elvis is my favourite also my favourite combination! This has unfortunately both eggs and nuts – but I had to include it – it was my moral duty! Check it out by Taste and Tell here.
12. Avocado and Corn fritters, delicious both cold and hot. Perfect for dinner one night and lunch the next! This recipe does have eggs but is nut free! Check it out here.
13. Good old Pikelets! Always a winner and easy to make – this is my grandmother recipe always light and fluffy. This recipe does contain egg but no nuts – check it out here
If after all these suggestions you still decide a sandwich is the way to go then check out this list of sandwiches without the bread! Everyday my mum would ask what I wanted on my sandwich and everyday I had a cheese sandwich. Everyday of my school life, and then once I left school and started teaching it was the same – the tuckshop ladies joked that Paddy would come out holding a cheese sandwich – FYI he didn’t! haha but I know some people love sandwiches so here are some suggestions if your ever sick of bread!